Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Dori's Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins



Dori Greenspan's Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins

I like poppy seeds. I like lemony baked goods. And I love icing! Put those three elements together and bake them into cute little muffins and you'll win my heart! These delicious muffins come from a book by Dori Greenspan called Baking From My Home to Yours. I've heard this book described as the baking bible and after trying a few recipes from it, especially this winner, I can honestly say I'm a follower :)


This muffin was tender and sweet. The poppy seeds gave it a delicious textural crunch and the little specks of lemon zest added just the right touch of lemon zing. The best part, though, has to be the icing! It's simply made up of powdered sugar and lemon juice but dipping the muffin tops into the icing and slowly letting it drip down the sides made the whole experience all the most tantalizing. After attempting to drizzle the icing, it became clear that in order to maximize the icing to muffin ratio, the best way to go about it was just to dip the top of each muffin into the icing, quickly flip it over, set it on a cooling rack with some old newspaper underneath, and just let the goodness descend. Once cooled and set, these muffins were definitely worth the wait!


If you're interested in baking up a batch of these (which I highly recommend for you lemon lovers out there) you can find the recipe on p. 10 of Baking: From my home to yours. I followed the recipe closely and was met with sweet success. A little hint though, when the batter is distributed, the muffins seem a little scarce, but trust me, they puff up considerably and in my book, the bigger and billower the muffin, the better!


No comments:

Counter