Thursday, October 23, 2008

Chocolate Coma: Quintuple Chocolate Brownies


If you love chocolate, I mean really, really, LOVE chocolate, you must make these Quintuple (that's 5!) Chocolate Brownies by Dori Greenspan. I've admitting my deep adoration for chocolate before, but it wasn't until I made and tasted these brownies that I discovered my profound appreciation of a cold glass of milk. Because, trust me, when you eat these, you will need a least one glass of milk per brownie!


As the name suggests, this recipe calls for 5 different types of chocolate: a quarter cup of cocoa, three ounces each unsweetened and bittersweet chocolate and six ounces of milk chocolate chips. And if with this list, you have not yet reached the point of a chocolate coma, the baked and cooled brownie are finished with a white chocolate glaze! And I know this sounds strange, but the extra layer of creamy white chocolate helped to offset the intense chocolatiness of each deep square. So you are planning on making these, go all the way and don't skip the glaze! Although I do suggest using less cream to make the glaze then the recipe calls for because a nice thick layer gives a better balance and makes for beautiful brownies.  


For the purpose of this blog, I cut the brownies into 16 squares but they were so dense that we ended up cutting them down in size again. Overall, the reaction to this recipe was a big hit. I thank all those loyal friends who did me the favor of eating these brownies so that I wouldn't be tempted to eat the entire tray myself!


5 comments:

Anonymous said...

i love the white chocolate layer! it makes them seem a little more...innocent haha.

Nickki said...

I agree, chocolate coma indeed! I made these recently and I think I'm going to have to make them again soon! The chocolate lovers ultimate brownie :)

Chantal said...

what have you done to me!

I've been in chocolate rehab for months now, i sense a relapse!

My Sweet & Saucy said...

These look so rich and decadent...wish I could have one right now!

Marthe said...

I made these a while ago and absolutely loved them. Yours look perfect!!

Counter